WHAT IS MANDELA DAY?
“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” – Nelson Mandela
Mandela Day calls on us all, every day, to make the world a better place. Each year on 18 July we look back on what has been done and forward to what will be done.
Making every day a Mandela Day celebrates Madiba’s life and legacy in a sustainable way that will bring about enduring change.
Amy Foundation would like to encourage you to spend your 67 mins with us… here are some ideas.
- Donate gently used clothing and shoes for children and youth aged 5 to 35 years
- Donate 67 stationary packs – include a pencil bag, pencil, pen, eraser, sharpener
- Collect and donate 67 water bottles for our sports kids – ask your school for lost property.
- We are looking for assistance in getting 67 goodie bags for children on the day (1 toy, something to eat and anything educational.)
- Donate second-hand English children’s books for Grade R to Grade 12
- Bring a book and come and spend 67 mins reading to our Foundation Phase classes
- As part of the Mandela day celebration, we would like to keep the spirit of caring alive by making 67 care kits for our programme participants. In the care kit we are hoping to put a comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, bar of soap, Roll on, body cream & face cloth
- Arrange that your friends, family and colleagues collect non-perishable and canned foods – 67 cans or 67 packets of rice, sugar, samp etc
- Arrange a blanket drive and collect 67 blankets for the Foundation Phase children in Gugulethu and Bonteheuwel
- Get a team together and put together some sandwiches and a snack pack – we have over 1000 hungry mouths to feed daily
- Bake a cake or cupcakes for a class of 67 kids
- Donate R67 each month to the Foundation via GivenGain
- Our late Tata was known for many things, one of them being his iconic dance style, which is now named the Madiba Shuffle. And so, we aim to keep Mandela’s memory alive by spending 67 minutes with our afterschool programme participants where all groups will be doing the Madiba dance. The best group will have the prize for the day. We would like you to sponsor this event. COST: R4000
- Donate First Aid Kits to our three after-school centres
#MandelaDay #Madiba #AmyFoundation #ChangingLives #ActionAgainstPoverty